• ISBN: 9780325070001 (0325070008)
      • Author: Jean M. Allman
      • Genres: ghana, history
      • Format: paperback, 312 pages
      • Language: english
      • Release date: July 20, 2000
      • Publisher: Heinemann Educational Books

About The Book

“This long awaited and definitive work on gender in Asante during the early twentieth century provides a needed balance to emphasis on chiefship and external relations evident thus far in the historical scholarship on colonial and pre-colonial Asante. I am certainly looking forward to using this book in every possible African studies course I teach.”

— Gracia Clark, Department of Anthropology, Indiana University “By bringing women into the mainstream of Asante historiography, the authors move us towards that singularly elusive goal: the realization of a comprehensive Asante social history.”

— Ivor Wilks Professor Emeritus, African History Northwestern University

In an admirable collaborative effort, Jean Allman and Victoria Tashjian focus on commodity production, family labor and reproduction in colonial Asante. The authors demonstrate how broader social and economic forces — cash cropping, trade, monetization of the economy, British rule, and Christian missions — recast the terms of domestic struggle in Asante and how ordinary men and women negotiated that ever shifting landscape. By centering their analysis on women, Allman and Tashjian recover the broader history of a society whose past has largely been understood in terms of the state, political evolution, trade, and the careers of political elites. Based on the recollections of Asante women and men born during the years 1900 to 1925 and on rich archival sources, “I Will Not Eat Stone” captures the resilience and tenacity of a generation of Asante women and their struggles in defense of social and economic autonomy.

EPUB I Will Not Eat Stone read iPad on Walmart. MP3 book I Will Not Eat Stone by Jean M. Allman buy cheap. FB2 ebook I Will Not Eat Stone Jean M. Allman download on Kindle on Powells. Paperback I Will Not Eat Stone. PDF book I Will Not Eat Stone by Jean M. Allman download for Android.

Hardback ebook I Will Not Eat Stone read online on Kobo. Hardcover I Will Not Eat Stone buy for iOS on Audible. MOBI ebook I Will Not Eat Stone Jean M. Allman. TXT book I Will Not Eat Stone buy cheap. FictionBook ebook I Will Not Eat Stone Jean M. Allman on PocketBook on Book Depository.

Melihat 0 pertalian (thread) balasan
Balasan Untuk: (ePUB) I Will Not Eat Stone by Jean M. Allman ~ 9780325070001
Informasi Anda:

Last modified: 23 November 2020